Mr. and Ms. AIHEC
Deadline: March 14th, 2020.
Coordinator: Stacia Prue
- The AIHEC Student Congress created the Mr. and Ms. AIHEC Competition to showcase the character, leadership, and academic achievements of a select male and female from the Tribal College community.
- The male and female selected by the judge’s panel will share the Tribal College Movement story and their personal experiences with others at meetings, conferences, pow-wows, and other community gatherings.
- The following will be considered by the judging panel:
- Scholarship: students’ academic record as well as their pursuit of research, advanced studies, and intellectual development.
- Culture: candidates’ cultural experiences, knowledge, and involvement within their college and community.
- Personal Visions: future goals and personal expectations.
- Community Service: service to their college and community
- AIHEC Knowledge: understanding of AIHEC and the entire Tribal College Movement, history, and future development.
- Presentation: speaking ability and overall personal presentation.
- Required Materials:
- Student applying for Mr. or Ms. AIHEC shall submit an unofficial transcript, two (2) letters of recommendation, resume, and a personal statement. The personal statement should detail the student’s past challenges and accomplishments, their current activities and status, and the student’s goals and vision for the future.
- Students shall be enrolled in at least nine (9) credit hours at their Tribal College, be in good academic standing, and have at least a 3.0 G.P.A to apply and hold the position of Mr. or Ms. AIHEC.
- Each Tribal College may only submit one (1) Mr. AIHEC and one (1) Ms. AIHEC candidate.
- All finalists shall be in attendance for an interview at the annual AIHEC Student Conference.
- The new Mr. and Ms. AIHEC will be announced during the annual AIHEC Student Conference awards’ banquet.
Competition Guidelines and Procedures
- The Mr. and Ms. AIHEC Competition coordinator is chosen by the host committee. The Mr. and Ms. AIHEC Competition coordinator will reserve a conference room large enough for three (3) judges and a candidate to be interviewed.
- The Mr. and Ms. AIHEC Competition coordinator will provide periodic updates to the host committee concerning registration numbers and the cost of the Mr. and Ms. AIHEC Competition.
- The Mr. and Ms. AIHEC Competition coordinator may use the proven rules from above and make adjustments as the need arises to adapt to the specific host location, participant-entry size, budget limitations, etc.
- The Mr. and Ms. AIHEC Competition coordinator may need to recruit another person (faculty, staff, or student from the AIHEC Student Congress) to assist the judges, maintain a continuous schedule, and on-site setup in the conference room.
- Suggested Checklist of Materials to bring to the conference: Judging sheet for each candidate; entry documents for each candidate (transcripts, resumes, letters of recommendations, personal statements, etc.) master spreadsheet of the registered candidates.
- Have a firm registration deadline. Postmarked, faxed, emailed, etc. at least seven (7) days before the start of the conference. No exceptions.
- Enter registered student candidates into a master spreadsheet by college to ease the checking in process at the conference.
- The coordinator arrives at the conference at least a day before the competition to setup the conference room with the judges’ table and four chairs.
- There shall be at least three (3) judges. Judges will interview and score each candidate over the period of two (2) or three (3) days.
- There is a rotating crown for Ms. AIHEC and a rotating medallion for Mr. AIHEC that they may wear at official functions, but must return to AIHEC central office before the next AIHEC Student Conference. All traveling trophies and awards are under the stewardship of the awarded student and college. Any damage that requires repair while in their possession is the responsibility of the awarded college or student.
- 2012 – NWIC, 2013 – TMCC, 2014 – SKC, 2015 – UTTC, 2016 – OLC
- The Mr. and Ms. AIHEC Competition coordinator is responsible for reporting the winners to the awards’ banquet coordinator.